Friday, April 22, 2011

Arthur (2011) Review

Arthur Poster 2011


Directed by Jason Winer 
Written by Steve Gordon 
Starring Russel Brand, Helen Mirren, Jeniffer Gardner, and Greta Gerwig
 
Every year there is a film no one liked besides me ( 2010: Johna Hex 2009: Taking of Pelham 123 so on), I think this film is that film for me. I have seen the original film that won an Oscar and this film is not the same. Instead of handling the man child story with drama, this films uses comedy with English star Russel Brand. So if I liked this film, how much did I like this film?
 The story of the film is man child Arthur (Russel Brand) a rich and spoiled drunk who lives life to the fullest with all of his toys and movie props. He is watched by his Nanny Hobson (Helen Mirren) who has been watching Arthur and being the mother he has never had. His mother Vivienne (Geraldine James) is the owner of a wealthy business and it is soon to be inherited by Arthur. 
 There is a catch to this. To inherit the money, Arthur must marry Susan (Jeniffer Gardner) who he thinks is crazy and wild for all of the wrong reasons. One day he meets a tour guide named Naomi (Great Gerwig) and instantly falls in love with her even if she is dirt poor. So will Arthur choose crazy Susan and the money or a happy but poor life with his true love Naomi and forever disregarded by his family?
 The best thing that this film has going for it is Russel Brand. I know alot of people are sick of him but I am not one bit. This is actual his first lead role and I think he is extremely witty and charming. By the end of the movie I was surprisingly felling for him even thought he did some bad things throughout the film. That is a must because the movie would fall apart if Arthur was not a likable character becuase we have to root for him.
 Another thing is I liked alot of the pop culture references in the film. The film opens with Arthur dressing up in the Joel Shoemaker Batman suit and once they showed the bat nipples I laughed and cried at the same time. Most of the references come from his cars (Dukes of Hazard Car, Mystery Mobile) and his outfits. This to me made the film seem realistic becuase if I were rich I would be doing the exact same thing.
 Along with that, the supporting cast of the film is solid. Helen Mirren is at her best and has a great chemistry will Russel Brand. Every scene with them is a hilight and she is in most of the film. The two love interest in the film also did a good job. Jeniffer Gardner did a fantastic job as the intelligent but crazy girl and Gerta Gerwig was fantastic and beautiful as the down to earth girl. Heck even Nick Nolte did a good job as Gardner's dad.
 The final thing I want to say is that the ending pulled my heart string. When the end came around I was really caring about the characters so when the climax came around I was really happy and sad and laughing at the same time. I know it is a generic film but it is so well executed that I did not really mind or notice.
 So overall Arthur is a surprisingly funny and heartwarming comedy that shows that Russell Brand is here to stay. This as of now is not my favorite film of the year but I am still going to give it a 8.6. Ok now post your comments saying how much you disagree with me or agree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment