Friday, April 22, 2011

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules




Directed by David Bowers
Written by Jeff Filgo Jeff Judah and Gabe Sachs
Actors Zachary Gordon Steve Zahn Devon Bostick and Rachel Haris

 With all of the terrible buzz about Sucker Punch I decided to see Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules. Since I have read and really enjoyed the source marital I thought why not. I saw the first one in theaters and it was a fun but very flawed live action family comedy. So what did I think of the new one? I am going to say that this is the best live action family comedy made in the 2000s.
 The story of the film is Wimpy Greg Heffley (Zachary Gordon), now in seventh grade, thinks he has it all together. He has mastered middle school and gotten rid of the Cheese Touch. However, Greg's older brother, Rodrick (Devon Bostick), is itching to cut him down to size. So will the evil Rodrick always have a hatred for Greg or will the two boys do the impossible: be friends.
 So first off, the two brothers Greg and Rodrick have a real chemistry together. They seem like real brothers who hate each other but they just seem like they are getting closer and closer. In the first film the main thing I did not like was that both Greg and Rodrick were extremely selfish and annoying but in this film both of them are likable and for kids they are rateable. I can even relate with Rodrick and Greg's brother struggles and everyone who has a brother should also relate to this film also.  
  Another thing is this film is Steve Zahn's best film in quite time. For me they should call this film the Steve Zahn show becuase he is just giving 110 percent in this film and I just thought he was he was the funniest part in the film. There is this one scene when they get back to the house and Rodrick and Greg hope that that Zahn dose not find out about the party. So hes checking the house and then he just screaming about the silly stuff and I cracked up and with any other actor would have just ruined it.
 Also, the film has a huge improvement in directors from Thor to David Bowers. Bowers is a very underrated director. He directed two good entertaining animated films in Flushed Away and Astor Boy both of those being two completely different animated films (a comedy and a scifi action adventure). It seems as if Dowers as much more intelligence then Thor with this film having much less fart and poop jokes. That said there are still a few jokes for the kids.
 Now I am going to get into the bad. The film had some jokes that fell completely flat. All of the clips I saw before the film were just bad but I do understand the film is for little kids. Still some of the jokes were not even funny for the dumbest kids or adults.
 Now for my total review. Overall Diary of a Wimpy Kid is a fun time at the movies. I think its best to see it with a big audience laughing with everyone else it is just a fun time. After the heart warming ending, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules is a Rango Spill Rating

No comments:

Post a Comment