Monday, May 2, 2011

The 5 Most Underrated films of 2010

To me, 2010 had alot of hidden gems that either were ignored by the public or unliked by the critics for odd reasons. Each film on this list made less then 50 million dollars and mostly panned by the critics. So like they say in Hollywood roll it.

5.MacGruber
 
 I am not a huge Saturday Night Live fan so I really did not know what to expect with MacGruber. The trailer looked funny but not laugh out loud jokes. With all of the mystery I decided to check it out and was I surprised. MacGruber is pure raunchy R rated comedy with some jokes in the film that made me cry in laughter. The film looked cheap but I did not care if it looked that way. After I saw it I could not wait to get home and see all of the good reviews by the critics but I did not get that. The film received a rotten 46 percent on the Rotten Tomato meter and only grossed 4 million dollars opening week. Even if the film is considered a failure I think that MacGruber was a raunchy fun time in the theater and I really recommend that it to be rented by anyone.

4.Brooklyn's Finest

 Brooklyn's Finest was one of the movies that I was really excited to see. Training Day director Antoine Fuqua was directing and a extremely talented cast that includes Ethan Hawke, Don Cheadle, and recently out of jail Wesley Snipes. So I was so excited that I saw the film on opening day and I was not disappointed with the film one bit. Brooklyn's Finest is a gritty well acted thriller that I think should have gotten a few Oscar nominations. The critics mostly disagreed with me only giving the film a 43 percent on the Rotten Tomato meter saying that the film " suffers from the comparisons its cliched script provokes" which is not true. Financially Brooklyn's Finest grossed only 13 million dollars opening week but the film did make its budget back with a final gross of 27 million dollars. Still Brooklyn's Finest should have gotten much more credit for the films daring story.

3.Green Zone

 The Bourne films meets the Hurt Locker was the comparisons when Green Zone was released. It was even going to have the actor director combo of Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon so what not to like? Well I thought it was a fantastic political drama that included some well directed action scenes. Matt Damon in this film was at his finest really showing a tough army man while not being that total bad ass that Jason Bourne was. The film isn't accurate obviously but it did a fantastic job at what the creators wanted to do. The critics disagree and thought the film had a "clinched script and stock characters keep those methods from being as effective this time around." I thought that it was just the perspective of a situation. You cant stop in the middle of relatily to develop so why would they in this movie.

2.Hereafter 

  Now coming into the fall season last year I was pumped to see two films, The Social Network and Hereafter. Once I heard that Clint Eastwood was directing a spiritual I just had to see the result weather it was good or bad. Then the first trailer came out and I was even more excited to see Hereafter. Then came October 22 the date of the films wide release and I saw the film I loved it. Hereafter is daring and professionally directed by Clint Eastwood. The film also had a great cast lead by Matt Damon and Celice De France. The film was very mixed by critics earning a 46 percent on the Rotten Tomatoes meter. The film had A.O Scott giving it 4 stars then some other  critic would say its one and a half. Financially the film totaled only 32 million dollars on a 50 million dollars so it was overall a failure. I guess people would rather see Paranormal Activity 2 then a smart well made film.

1.Jonah Hex 

 I know the film was hated by everyone besides me but I DONT CARE. Johna Hex to me is just a roller coater ride (with its crappy editing a few bad performances and silly plot) but its not suppose to be. Johna Hex was made to be a B film and for that it worked. Here are my three rules on making a good B film.
 Is the lead or leads well acted? Check here Josh Brolin does not mail it in and but instead makes a very convincing Johna Hex.
 Does the film have some good action scenes that are appealing to the eye? Check, the film as some really cool silly action scenes that worked.
 Is the film too long? No it is only a brisk 81 minuets.
 Financially the film only grossed 10 million dollars on a budget of 47 million dollars so it was a huge bust. So what is your most underrated films? 

No comments:

Post a Comment