Friday, July 8, 2011

Bad Teacher Review



Directed by Jake Kasdan
Written by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky
Starring Cameron Diaz, Justin Timberlake, Jason Segel, and Lucy Punch

 Bad Teacher was a film I was really looking foreword to ever since the trailer came out in February. I really liked the premise and the film had a really great cast. It is now out in theaters so lets see how the film turned out.

 Bad Teacher is about Elizabeth (Cameron Diaz). She's foul-mouthed, ruthless, and inappropriate. She drinks, she gets high, and she can't wait to marry her meal ticket and get out of her bogus day job. Then she meets the new rich substitute teacher (Justin Timberlake). Elizabeth is forced to compete against a fellow teacher, Amy (Lucy Punch) who is extremely energetic.

  It seems that the new substitute is more like Amy then Elizabeth. Will Elizabeth be able to change for the new subsitute?

 Walking out of this film overall, I had a fun time with the film but, it kind of dissapointment for me. Throughout the film I chuckled and even had a few laughs but, I found very few pure laugh out loud jokes that you remember. After a few hours or days after watching, I just kind of forgot the film that saying I had a fun time.

 Not to my surprise, Cameron Diaz was the standout of the film. She was defentialy the funniest part of the film and this may be her best performance in her career. She has so many funny one liners and was alot of fun to watch. Justin Timberlake was ok as the quirky somewhat hipster dude. There is also Jason Segel as the gym teacher and I thought he was really funny but they did not give him enough things to do as most of his jokes are in the trailer.

 There are also some really good supporting characters like Thomas Lennon (from Reno 911), Phyllis Smith (The Office), and John Michael Higgins (The Late Shift). They were all really funny and I wanted more of them. I think the movie could have been much better if it was more of these supporting characters and less of Timberlake who was fine but not very funny.

 A complaint is the story. The story plays out exactly how I expected it. That kind of disappointed me because I was expecting perhaps a more clever story film. Still the ending was not a complete fail because it is the most likely ending in the situation it is in.

 Overall Bad Teacher is a fine film. It has some funny jokes and some fine performances but it is not memorable. I am going to give the film a decent rating of.

2.5 out of 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment