Friday, July 1, 2011

The Trip Review



Directed by Michael Winterbottom
Written by  Michael Winterbottom
Starring Steve Coogan, Rob Brydon, and Margo Stilley

 The Tip walking in I knew nothing about. With Larry Crown and Monte Carlo getting bad reviews I decided to give this film a chance. It starred one of my favorite actors Steve Coogan who I find extremely witty in every film he is in. So I saw the film but first let me tell about the origins of the film.

 The Trip is a British film that in Britain came out late last year but released in America last month. The film is Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon's roles as fictionalised versions of themselves are a continuation of their performances in Michael Winterbottom's 2006 film, A Cock and Bull Story. The story is Coogan and Brydon going on a restaurant tour of the north of England for a column in their monthly food magazine.

 Ok so time for the review. The Trip is by far the funniest film of 2011 so far. The film is not for everyone because it is very smart. The film also surprised me having some truly genuine moments that really have a lot of heart which is rare to find in a comedy these days.

 The best thing about the film is the chemistry between Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. While watching the film at times I thought that these guys were best friends because they just play off each other perfectly. The best scenes in the film is when they are sitting down and eating and having small talk. These scenes just feel so genuine to me. The film actual makes me want to check out more of Brydon's stuff because I never heard of him before the film.

 The film is absolutely beautiful. The film has plenty have fantastic scenes with Coogan and Brydon traveling across northern England. The pass alot of landmarks and each looked great. I would rather see images of the beauty of nature then giant robots battling each other (cough Transformers). Also each time they go to a restaurant, we see the creation of this food and it just made me super hungry.

 Steve Coogan gives an amazing performance in the film is the best of his career. He still has the same funny dry wit but in this film hes kind of going through a mid life crisis. Through his performance I kind of thought I was seeing himself maybe as he showed that he is frustrated of the way his career in america is playing out which seemed genuine because he is not a very popular actor.

 The Trip is one of the best films of 2011. It may have some jokes fall flat and dragged a bit but its still fantastic. The ending of the film almost had me in tears which surprised me. Overall I have to give the film a very strong rating of.

3.5 out of 4 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment