Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows part 2 Review



Directed by David Yates 
Written by Steve Kloves
Starring Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Ralph Fines, and Alan Rickman

 So it all comes down to this. The final film in the so called epic Harry Potter saga. Harry Potter has been an iconic series in the past 2000's. I dont find it as amazing as most audiences. I have seen all of the films and have enjoyed many of them. The thing is I have disliked both of the past two Harry Potter films because they dragged so much in my mind. So does Harry Potter end the series right?

 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2, is the final adventure in the Harry Potter film series. The much-anticipated motion picture event is the second of two full-length parts. In the epic finale, the battle between the good and evil forces of the wizarding world escalates into an all-out war. The stakes have never been higher and no one is safe. But it is Harry Potter who may be called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice as he draws closer to the climactic showdown with Lord Voldemort. It all ends here. Will Harry Potter defeat Voldomort or fail to him.

 So is part two better then the previous two films? I am glad to say yes. This new Harry Potter is a nice way to end the Harry Potter series, with a BANG! The film is a battle full of CGI spectacle and action with some great effects. The problem is the film does not really connect with me. I just did not really feel any emotion for the characters when they were going through there struggles. I just sat back and enjoyed the CGI but then what makes it different then a film like Transformers.

 The film is dark for a blockbuster film. It is all out war with some of the characters you know and grew with start to die. The scenes that make it dark are some of the quieter non CGI scene instead of loud effects. One of my favorite scenes in the film were after the battle you see dead bodies of some of the characters and real emotion comes out.

 I honestly think the film should have been not as CGI filed. The three scenes I remember the most do not have anything to do with CGI. Yates does a great job making some very heart felt scenes like a flashback scene that is remarkable and memorable. I think Yates should have done a bit more of that even thought most audiences would disagree. 

 The performances in the film are fantastic. All of the actors are at the best especially Alan Rickman. Rickman has a small amount of screen time but gives an Oscar worthy performance that I was not expecting. The main three Radcliffe, Watson, and Grint all do an outstanding job but this is Radcliffe's film. Watson and Grint have much less screen time. 

 My major gripes of the film is the story and the film can not help that. I just dont like the ending at all and it feels like a cop out to me. The set up to the ending was great and if they just stuck to that the film could have had a much more memorable and emotional ending that may have been gutsy but cinematic gold.

 Overall Harry Potter is a entertaining blockbuster but does not compare to either Lord of the Rings or Star Wars. The film suffers because it has to be more for everyone which holds it back from greatness. I still have to give the film a rating of.

3 out of 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment