Saturday, July 23, 2011

Captain America The First Avenger Review



Directed by Joe Johnston
Written by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely
Starring Chris Evans, Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, and Hayley Atwell

 Captain America The First Avenger! Its finally here, my much anticipated installment to the final piece to create the Avengers. As a kid, I ever wondered if Captain America would ever be on the big screen. Growing up he was one of my favorite superheros because of his qualities. Hes honest, a leader, and just the ultimate superhero. Did Marvel do justice to me and thousands of fans.

 Captain America centers around Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) a small skinny man who just wants to enlist in the army. His best friend Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan) who takes him to Modern Marvels of Tommorow where Rogers meets Dr. Abraham Erskine (Stanley Toucci) who presents him with the chance to become part of the super solider project. Rogers agrees and the super solider serum works and he becomes Captain America.

 Captain America is not the only super solider. A German general Johann Schmidt (Hugo Weaving) who has is own Division called HYDRA. He also took the serum but it effected him a bit more. The serum gave him a Red Skull hence his name. The Hydra division is all very futuristic having much more powerful weapons then the Americans. So can Captain America and the Americans succeed?

 So how was Captain America? Well it was.... amazing. The new Captain America film is a stunning ride full of great action, character, and humor that reminds me alot of Indiana Jones. This is Marvels greatest achievement and this is coming from a lover of superhero films. For me, this is one of my favorite superhero films ever.

 The thing I love most is Chris Evans as Captain America. The thing that makes him one of my favorite characters is he is a good man and easy to route for. I personally find it hard to route for Robert Doweny Jr hard to like at times because he can be a bit of a jerk. Evans is just infectious as Captain America and is a relatable hero. He just wants to do the right thing even thought everything is against him. It is the perfect underdog story!

 The rest of the cast is solid as well. Tommy Lee Jones is your average general but that's all I wanted from his character. He was surprisingly really funny in his role. Hugo Weaving is always a great villain and he does a great job here as well. Hugo Weaving is probably now Hollywood's go to guy to play a villain in a film. Hayley Atwell is a great love interest and a very likable character in total. Everyone else is solid as the cast does not miss a beat.

 The film is Marvels funniest film. At one point the film takes a twist that is one of the funniest things I have seen in a super hero film ever. I will not spoil it but it is laugh out loud hilarious. Most of the dialogue was corny but that was an homage to 70's blockbuster films. I surprisingly laughed more in this then Bad Teacher and Hangover 2.

 The action is the film is on full throttle awesome. The film had some amazing chase scenes with the ultra Captain America kicking butt. The film does a good job blending the futuristic element well with the guns of World War 2. The iconic shield is great and the scenes with him throwing the shield looked great and gave me the chills every time he throws it. The action to me had that same feel to a Indiana Jones with the great soundtrack playing with the character kicking butt with there iconic weapon.

 The directing by Joe Johnston is fantastic. Throughout his career, Johnston has done a great job creating a period piece with most of his films. This film is not different as he does a great job creating a 40's feel to everything which is what most of the humor was centered around. The cars, outfits, and styles all looked true to the times which makes Captain America the best period superhero film ever made.

 Overall, Captain America is a fantastic action packed thrill ride that I hold up to the original Indiana Jones. The more I think about it the more I love it. I would not be true to myself if I did not give it a high rating. Yet I can not give it a perfect rating but a high rating of.

3.5 out of 4 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment