Thursday, July 14, 2011

Zookeeper Review



Directed Frank Coraci
Written by Nick Bakay and Kevin James
Starring Kevin James, Rosario Dawson, Leslie Bibb, Adam Sandler, and much more

 For most people watching this film for most people is a death wish. Looking at the trailer, I was strongly regretting ever seeing anything from the film. Well I saw the film and it was not that bad. I actual enjoyed a bit of the film. Ill go over that soon but now lets talk about the films premise.

 The Zookeeper is about Griffin Keyes (Kevin James) a down in his luck man who works at the local zoo as a Zookeeper hence the title. Five years ago his girlfriend Stephanie (Leslie Bibb) turned down his wedding proposal because of his job at the local zoo and him not working as any prominent person in society. Ever since that day, hes goal has been to win her back.

 One day after an encounter with her, suddenly the animals at the zoo start to talk to him. The animals include everything from lion (Cher and Sylvester Stallone), a monkey (Adam Sandler), two bears (voiced by Jon Favreau), and much more. These animals love Griffin and want him to stay. To keep him, the animals give him advice to get Stephanie back. Will this work for Griffin or backfire massively?

 Like I said I kind of enjoyed it. Hold your tomatoes for a second and let me explain. The film is your usual Sandler film and most for me are hit or miss. This one I enjoyed and the major reason is Kevin James the star of the film. Ever since James stared in The Kings of Queens you has a had a very likable screen presence. He comes of as a genuine nice guy who you care for and root for throughout the film.

 James also has a very good chemistry with the animals. The scenes with him talking to all the animals show a good repore between the animal voice actors. He also has a great chemistry also with Rosario Dawson a doctor at the Zoo. Both come of as nice people and your thinking perhaps James is making the wrong descion.

 The hilight of the film are the scenes with James and the Gorilla played by Nick Nolte. It seems as they are really good friends. I actual think that there bromance was better then any relasonship you saw in the Hangover part 2. They created mostly all the laughs in the film for me.

 The problem is not the films fault. The film is targeted more for kids to laugh out and parents to tolerate the film.  I only laughed three times because the jokes for the most part were not aimed at me. Younger Kids and families are going to enjoy the film alot. Its the usual Sandler produced comedy, jokes aimed at younger audiences and most likely a good message to end with. The film follows the formula perfectly but still I have to mark it down because of the lack of humor.

 Some of the jokes in the film like the joke about TGIF were absolutely hard to watch. There also alot of really bad physical comedy. Everything else is tolerable. I also have to say that even thought the film was short,  by the end it seemed it was running out of steam.

 I still kinda enjoyed it. I am not giving it a huge recommendation, but a decent rating. I suggest families and kids see this in theaters and regular people give it a chance when its on TV or Netflix. I give the film a rating of .

2 out of 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment