Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Submarine Review



Directed by Richard Ayoade
Written by Richard Ayoade
Starring Noah Taylor, Paddy Considine, Craig Roberts, Yasmin Paige, and Sally Hawkins

 Submarine for me was one of the films I could not wait to see. The film looked like my type of indie comedy with a lot smart humor and some really realistic characters. Most of the time when I look forword to a movie it backlashes on me and the movie turns out to be terrible. So does Richard Ayoade make a film that is satisfying for the critics and audiences.

Submarine is about Oliver Tate (Roberts) is a 15 year-old Swansea boy who is convinced that he is an unrivaled genius who is widely loved by his classmates, when in fact he is pretentious and socially alienated. Soon he falls in love with a wild girl named Jordana (Paige) and does everything to bullying to impress her.

 Soon life begins to fall apart for Oliver. His at home life is in disray with free spirited guru Graham (Considine) and is wife may be having an affair with his mom (Hawkins). His father Lloyd (Taylor) becomes more and more out of his relasonship. So can Oliver reunite his family while keeping his relasonship with Jordana.

 So back to my question, did Submarine disappoint? Well I am so happy to say that this film did not disappoint one bit. This is a coming of age film that ranks up there with Garden State as one of my favorite coming of age films. The film seems so much like a Wes Anderson film such as Rushmore. For me that's a plus because I love all of Anderson's work.

 Newcomer Roberts has such a great charm to it. Throughout every minuet of the film I routed for him because he kind of relatable person. He kind of reminds me of the character and Juno who seems over pertinacious but is not really as smart as he is. He is a kid, he has things to learn and the film is coming of age film because he learns how to overcome that. Oliver's girl friend Paige Yasmine also has great chemistry with Roberts and seems like an extremely likable and you can see how Oliver is chasing after her so much.

 Paddy Considine is hilarious in his role as a self help guru. He does a great job balancing being silly and seeming real at the same time. In any other film he would be a character who is over the top silly like in a Jared Hess film but in here he is well balanced. The parents here Taylor and Hawkins do a good job as the strained relasonship.

 The comedy in the film is quirky and I could not stop laughing. I laughed out loud about ten to fithteen times. Roberts is so witty and quirky and I just thought he was so funny. The script written by Ayoade is well written giving all of the actors there chance to show there comedy chops. The direction helps the comedy alot as well. The film has a lot of clever scene translations that are like play translations. 

 Like any good coming of age film, there is a lot of heart. I really cared for the relasonship and each of the characters. I some what related to Roberts and his character. He is flawed and has made quite a bit of mistakes himself. Seeing him grow was just heart warming and by the end I was in tears with such a picture perfect finale.

 Overall Submarine is one of my favorite movies of this year. This movie has been on my mind thinking. The film is just my film and for that I give it a rating of.

4 out of 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment