Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Dylan Dog: Dead of Night is a failed adaptation and a bad B film.



Directed by Kevin Munroe
Written by Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer
Starring Brandon Routh, Anita Briem, Sam Huntington and Taye Diggs

 Dylan Dog was gone from existence after its terrible box office run. I was sad to see that because the film interested me because I read a bit of the comic and really enjoyed it. So when my local small theater got there hands on a print of the film I was more then happy to attend even if it was going to suck. Before I get into the details heres a little summary of the film.

 In New Orleans, Dylan Dog (Brandon Routh) is an ace detective whose specialty is paranormal cases. Now, he must deal with vampires, werewolves, zombies and a guardian of Hell, all due to a client's (Anita Briem) case. With the help of Marcus Adams (Sam Huntington), his undead assistant, he will have to persevere for the sake of the Earth.

 Now time for the Review. As you can tell by the title I did not enjoy the film very much at all. The film is an absolute disgrace to the comics and a failed B film. I was not expecting it to be as good as the comic but it seems as the director Kevin Munroe, either did not understand the comics tones or just did not care.
 
 Dylan Dog the comic was very smart commenting on issues with society but like I said the film is just dumb. I think a lot of the jokes in the film were failed because they did not have the same intelligence that they had in the comics. You can see while watching that the writers try to have the same edge in there writing but it overall does not work.
 
Overall I have really been going off on the film but there is some good things to be found in the film. I thought the look of the film was very good with some cool things like Dylan Dogs car and the city itself. I also really enjoyed Brandon Rouths performance and if someone wanted to remake this into a serous effort I think he could have the same intelligence as the comic.

 The effects in the film were good with some good designs for some of the monsters, werewolves and vampires. Some of the CGI in battle sequences was off but for the most part it was overall solid. I also thought the film had some interesting smaller details like how the vampires sell drugs of there own blood to people.

 Overall Dylan Dog failed at what it was doing but was an interesting failure certainty better then Battle L.A and The Roommate. I still have to give it a low rating of.

1.5/4 Stars  

No comments:

Post a Comment