Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Early Super 8 Review



Directed by JJ Abrams
Written by JJ Abrams
Starring Kyle Chandler, Ron Eldard, Ellie Fanning , and Noah Emmerich

 Super 8 has been one of my most anticipated films of the year, until I saw X-Men First Class. I thought X-Men First Class was a perfect film with great character development, awesome action, and a lot of funny moments. So I kind of lowered my expectations for the film and I am glad I did because Super 8 is a good monster film that takes to many genirc turns to become any thing special or memorable.
 Without getting to any major plot details the film has a great first half with a lot of excitement and mystery. The problem it ends up being a copy of ET at the end but it feels so unnatural to the film. They just spring this moment at the last minute of the film and it just seemed like Abrams enveyed ET to a fault as he made a copy of it instead of using what he had great to his advantage.
 The characters in the film are the best part of the film especially the kids. They are realistic, funny, and very relatable but at the second half of the film they throw out the character development at the end and just have a lot of mindless boring action scenes that have no unique style or substance to them. I never thought they were in danger once which is similar but this film was suppose to be much darker but it cops out of anything resembling darkness at the end.
 So I am saying alot of bad but Super 8 is still a very good film. I do think the advertising campaign really fit for the film. Paramount Pictures marketed this as a dark science fiction film instead the film is a family film I shit you not! This film may have a few shock moments but I honestly think this film is appropriate for all ages. I think that is the way Paramount is going to make its money and I do not like this one bit. If you see different types of television you will know that they showed different marketing crap for each channel.
 So overall Super 8 has a moments of greatness but it overall falls short because of the some what genirc turns and being to faithful to ET and other 80's sci-fi films. So I am going to have to give Super 8 a rating of.

2.5 out of 4 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment